My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://sidelines.bruceely.com
and update your bookmarks.

Friday, March 13, 2009

Red bugs


Last summer Oregonian sports reporter Jason Quick and I made a trip to the home of Portland Trail Blazer forward Travis Outlaw.

When we arrived in Starkville, Miss. and met Travis, one of the first things we noticed was a large band aid on the back of Outlaw's right arm. There were also scrapes on the top of his forearm.

So naturally, we asked Outlaw what happened.

The first take on the accompanying video is his response.

Throughout our stay, it became somewhat of a running joke.

We would ask Outlaw what happened, and he would give a different response, each one more ridiculous and funny than the last.

I even asked his dad, who said he's not sure he's been given the real story. He said Travis told him he fell down in his driveway.

A pretty funny scene unfolded as I made myself comfortable on the lawn in Travis' back yard. I revealed my ignorance of the critters of the South as I sat cross legged while wearing shorts. Guess that is a bad idea, because before my skin actually came in contact with the ground Travis noticed and stopped mid sentence with his conversation with Jason.

"Red bugs. We got red bugs ..." The jumbled video is an indication of how quickly I got on my feet.

The next afternoon, at Travis Outlaw Day, we were walking in the park with Travis when he once again saved me from trouble, quickly telling me to avoid a hard-to-see ant hill. It was nearly too late. I missed stepping directly on the hill, but he got close enough that my right leg was ambushed by little ants, who showed no mercy.

By the end of the trip, my legs were a sight to behold. The bites-per-square inch had to set a Mississippi record.

Here is the outtake video from our trip ... I still think its funny, but maybe its one of those you had to be there moments.

0 comments:

About This Blog

I hate to put too many restraints on this blog. I'd like to keep it to sports photography, but I'm affraid I will run out of things to say pretty quickly. So, my plan is to post both old and new pictures from my adventures in photography.

All images and video on this site are copyright 2000-2009 The Oregonian or Bruce Ely. Any unauthorized use is prohibited.

  © Blogger template 'Photoblog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP